November 2005: Volume 10.3
Welcome to Newsline,
the newsletter of EDINA, a JISC-funded National Datacentre.
If you have any comments about this online, or the printed edition, do
not hesitate to make them known to us. A contact email can be found at the
bottom of this page.
We hope you enjoy this issue of Newsline!
This edition of Newsline is available as a PDF
You can also view all stories together on one page.
In this Issue:
Multimedia Portal Project
- EDINA is leading a partnership sponsored by JISC to scope and build a demonstrator for a national Visual and Sound Material (VSM) Portal.
Digimap makes History
- The Historic Map Collection, a new resource funded by JISC and available through Digimap, offers for the first time online access to historic maps covering Great Britain from the mid 1800s to the early 1990s.
New agcensus data
- Agcensus enters its second full year with further data additions.
- GRADE Scoping Study
- EDINA is scoping a Geospatial Repository for Academic Deposit and Extraction (GRADE) as part of the JISC Digital Repositories Programme.
- GetRef helps users find bibliographic databases
- GetRef is a federated search tool developed for the JISC community by EDINA to search bibliographic databases and related resources. Version 2 is now available for trial.
- Fresh face for the Statistical Accounts
- The Statistical Accounts of Scotland service received a new look in mid-October 2005. The new layout enables users to perform a quick search for parish, county or text from both Accounts directly from the front page. Users can now click on a county map of Scotland to access county reports directly.
- New improved Go-Geo!
- A new version of Go-Geo!, the UK academic spatial data portal operated and maintained by EDINA, was launched on 1 September 2005.
- Explore Aladdin’s Cave
- EDINA has introduced a new "web room" to its home page. Here we show you what we are working on, what's coming soon: previews of user interfaces to existing services, and the services we aim to launch in the not too distant future.
- EIG improvements
- The look-and-feel of the user interface for the Education Image Gallery (EIG) service has been refreshed for the start of the academic year 2005/2006, including two improvements to the service’s functionality.
- EMOL update
- Forsooth! Shakespeare comes to EMOL. Culverhouse delayed.
- Forthcoming Events
- See our Training and Events page for the latest news.
EDINA, based at Edinburgh University Data Library, is a JISC-funded national datacentre. It offers the UK tertiary education and research community net-worked access to a library of data, information and research resources. All EDINA services are free of charge at the point of use. For information on institutional subscription fees, visit the EDINA web site, or contact us (details below).
- 0131 650 3302
- 0131 650 3308
Newsline is published by EDINA, part of the Information Services Group at the University of Edinburgh. Suggestions and comments on Newsline may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Editor: Paul Milne