GetRef is no longer an active service.
These pages are provided as an archive for information only.
GetRef is a fully functional cross-searching tool that enables the user to present a simple search string to multiple services and receive the matching results from each. GetRef is the fruit of the Xgrain (cross-grain) project, which looked at ways to develop a cross-searching (federated searching) mechanism for Abstract and Indexing databases and other bibliographic services in the JISC Information Environment.
GetRef is available to the UK FE and HE communities.
Please contact email@example.com if you would like to test GetRef. We will create a simple profile for your institution, which will use the appropriate credentials to give you access to subscription services from within GetRef.
GetRef will allow searching of bibliographic targets that provide a suitable interface (usually this will be Z39.50, though GetRef will support other standards such as SRW/CQL, and will support non-standard interfaces where documentation is made available). The targets currently available represent those that we have been asked to provide; this is not a comprehensive list.
GetRef has the following features:
- May be used directly by the end-user, or may be accessed by a Library portal via a Z39.50 interface.
- Provides OpenURL links which may be resolved by any institutional resolver service, such as SFX or LinkFinderPlus.
- EDINA will configure targets (bibliographic databases) and each institution's local OPAC on an institution by institution basis, removing the need for library staff to spend time on setup and configuration.
- Local branding to retain the look-and-feel common to an institution's other local services.
- Provides a variety of online learning materials which cover cross-searching concepts and gives guidance to users on conducting research activities.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.